New blog, one migraine at a time.

After starting my blog on EFT (my first blog) I decided I want one more, and another subject that's close to my heart (to my head would be a better expression) is migraines.

I have been a migraneur since childhood, buy it wasn't diagnosed as such until I was about 22, when my husband told me one of the girls in his study group suffers from headaches very much like mine (with sensitivities to light, noise, nausea, etc) and that she had been diagnosed as having migraines. So I made an appointment with a neurologist and after some tests, sure enough, I had an official name for my headaches. In the past they were referred as "liver related headaches" and some items were suppressed from my diet, like chocolate and strawberries. I had hepatitis as a child, so we took it as natural having "liver problems" after that. I am not sure what's the connection now, but I think migraines are connected to the liver somehow. Anyway, I grew up (mostly) without chocolate and strawberries, and longing for chocolate bars and chocolate ice cream. Sometimes the longing was so strong that I sneaked up some little pieces of the forbidden trait, to suffer the consequences later in the form of the dreaded headache, and making thus my "sin" obvious to my mom.

Back to the diagnosis and treatment. I was given Migraleve, which is a paracetamol + codeine + anti-nausea drug, very light compared to the other ones usually prescribed for this nuisance. I tried Imitrex once and felt so bad on it, that I preferred to suffer a little pain on the light medicine than to take the potent drug that wiped off the migraine but made me feel so miserable after. I have been taking Migraleve ever since as as SOS medicine (used as needed). I had acupuncture treatments for about two years, and they helped somewhat but didn't cure my migraines. I usually get my migraines around the time mu period starts, and some others times during the month. Anything can trigger a migraine, though: stress, climatic changes, noise, glare, hormones, chocolate, wine, worrying coupled with lots of thinking, you name it.

I would be happy to share my experience through this blog to all the other migraneurs out there. Let me welcome to my blog and feel free to leave your comments, experiences, questions, etc.

Hugs, P.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Crushing migraines. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.